Monday, October 15, 2012

The Unexpected Wonderful Occurrences of Studying Abroad: Mayday Parade Concert

Studying abroad has been a magical experience in and of itself. Luckily for me I've been able to experience things I would have never thought - like traveling to see high school friendsstudying at UNIV, and now going to a concert!

Whilst visiting my friend Jenna - we went to a concert to see The Natives, The Summer Set, and Mayday Parade! Now out of the three only one is actually native to the UK (I bet you can guess which one) but I'd been wanting to see MP for a while and the tickets were cheap and I was totally game. 

After making it back from Sheringham, we walked to The Waterfront and waited in the queue for about a half hour before the doors where open. 

A few things were interesting about this concert:
1. Moshing is an entirely different form here. It's like a circle and people move in and out and bump people outside of it. We tried to avoid it as much as possible...
2. Because the drinking age is lower here, more people were making use of the bar. Which is fine, but the drinks should go in your mouth and not on people. 
2A. Don't drink to the point where you become obnoxious. Just in general, but especially in a crowded, small area. People will not appreciate it. 
3. No matter where you are, in what country you are, there are typical stereotypes of music junkies. For instance, there were many people there who would be considered scene, indie, hipster, etc that were very much like many Americans I've seen at concerts at home. 
4. The Natives - while I found their music okay - liked to swear. Granted I've noticed that swearing is a relatively normal thing here in England; I couldn't take the lead vocalist seriously after I kept hearing him swear between each song. 

The Summer Set lead singer Brian Dale
Other than that I was so glad I went! I got to hear some good oldies from The Summer Set and a new song that I actually really liked. Mayday was PHENOMENAL and I was worried I wouldn't recognize any of their songs since I've listened to most of their older stuff but they played my favorites like "Three Cheers for Five Years" and "Miserable At Best". 

Alex Garcia from MP-love this shot!
Jeremy Lenzo from MP adjusting sound levels! LOVE





















I definitely enjoyed going to a concert abroad and come November, a bunch of my friends and I are going to see Imagine Dragons in Oxford - CRAZY! I'm so super stoked I can't believe it. 

Hope you've been enjoying reading about my adventures because I've enjoyed having them!
Be on the look out for an adventure from London!
Katelyn :)

p.s. crazy fact - in exactly 2 months, I'll be back in the US. What? Where is the time going?!

No comments:

Post a Comment