Friday, September 21, 2012

Being a UNIV Student for a Week: Part 1

Oh hello UNIV!
I've just returned to Bath after a week long excursion to Oxford with my program. We were able to stay and study at University College for the week and it felt pretty special. Not many can say that they've studied there but now I can! Of course I had to load up on UNIV apparel and souvenirs for my friends and family...maybe a little too much...

Anywho - we arrived on Saturday to move into our singles - a change from doubles in our home on Prior Park - which I realize I need to create a blog post about! Before I leave I promise. 
My single: Complete with a sink, mini-fridge and window seat!

We had a talk from tutor Dr. Mike Nicholson, a fellow and praelector in Russian at Oxford. He teaches Ghosts and the Gothic for ASE and had quite a lot to share about the history of the college. It was fascinating to learn about the place we were staying and it's major historical events. 

Later that evening we had the option to go down to the UNIV bar and have a disco! That basically meant we could socialize with one another with a DJ and bar - the drinks were cheaper than most places around so it helped our money go further.

Sunday we had the option of going to a Anglican service in the Christ Church Cathedral. It was interesting because I'd never been to another religious service other than Mass at Saint Mike's or my home parish. We went to the Morning Prayer service where it consisted of specific prayers and lessons (or readings) sung by the boys' choir or the ministers. Some parts were easy to follow because parts of the Anglican Church are similar to the Catholic Church. I won't give you a history lesson, but check out this website for more info.

Another event we went to on Sunday was PUNTING! If you think of gondolas in Venice, that's basically what punting is. We had the option to do it ourselves. While I didn't partake, I took LOADS of pictures: here are just a few. Luckily, no one in our group became members of the Mermaid Club! 
Trying to act like we know what we're doing...

Getting up close and personal with the ducks
This is only part one of my adventure in Oxford, and there will shortly be more posts to sum up the week! Keep looking for those.

Hope everything is well in your neck of the woods!
Katelyn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment