Wednesday, January 30, 2013

So You Want a Summer Internship

So. It's spring semester. You've just started all your classes and now you're starting to fast forward to summer already. Usually that means finding a job, internship, or something to boost your resume to show future employers that you've utilized your time. 

So what do you do now? What are you looking for? A summer internship? That's what I'm doing right now. 

1. I've worked at the SMC IT Helpdesk for the past two summers and while I love it, I want to explore my options with internships. I'm interested in pursuing a job in the technical or administrative aspects of theatre. What I did first was investigate theatres out and about my area. I looked to see if they were offering summer internships and what the process was to apply. 
2. I made a list of all the internships I was interested in at several places and what each application required i.e. letters of recommendation, cover letters, resumes, etc. 
3. E-mail/chat with professors, advisors, bosses, etc. to get letters of recommendation if you need them - always good to have a few in your back pocket in case your future employer asks for a reference!
4. I made an appointment with Career Services. I'm bringing everything I have to work with so that it will utilize my time with my career counselor. 
5. Make any changes to my resume and cover letters before submitting my application. 
6. Finally submit my application! WOOHOO! 

Then the waiting process begins. Hopefully sometime in March I'll have a better idea of what my summer will look like. Fingers crossed that I get an internship - one that pays would be even better!


Congratulations to the growing Class of 2017! Every day I see new members of the Class of 2017 Facebook Page sharing info and connecting with their peers! It's a great way using technology to get talking to future classmates and friends. Welcome to the SMC Family!

Hope your Wednesday is fantastic! 
Enjoy the rest of the week :)
Katelyn

P.S. Shout out to Olivia for reading my blog! 







No comments:

Post a Comment