Thursday, December 27, 2012

What's Not My Major...

When I get that age-old question what are you majoring in, my response is pretty long. I have a lot of interests and therefore I've attempted to pursue them all. 
I am currently majoring in History and Theatre and minoring in Classical Civilizations and Medieval Studies. 

How did I get there? Well a long and grueling process. Check out my previous posts about my journey to declaring these here.  

What I can tell you now is that I love my majors! Each speaks to a part of me that I enjoy in my life. I benefit from having two seemingly unrelated majors but if you look hard enough, you'll see the connections (as I will be attempting when it comes to Senior Sem time!)

(Hint, if you're a history person, read the green. If you're a theatre person, read the purple! Or heck, just read all of it!)

As a junior, I'm taking most of the seminar classes for my History major. Coming from abroad I took two based on the Victorian Era and Women, Society, and Culture in Eighteenth Century England. The later class prompted me with an interest in women and their relationship with society and culture so I am taking a course offered by the History Department called "Deviant Women". I just looked at all the books I'll need for this class and already my curiosity is piqued! 

Another aspect of being a History major that I love is the professors. My primary interaction is with my advisor, Professor Dameron. I had him second semester freshman year for my first-year seminar and taking a class with him got me interested in what History has to offer. He's a great professor and easy to talk to about class, traveling, and really anything! I'm so lucky to have him as an advisor and I'm looking forward to taking another class with him this semester!

There is a certain kind of person that gets involved in the theatre. I enjoy meeting creative and exciting people in theatre. I consider myself to be an unconventional theatre person. I've tried my hand at acting and while I do enjoy it, I love being a part of behind-the-scenes. I'm involved in at least one production each semester, the Drama Club, and enjoy watching plays. This semester, I will be stage managing the main spring production with a team of three and costume designing a potential Drama Club production. I am looking forward to being involved hands-on in the theatre. One of my beliefs is that learning is better hands-on. 

For everything else, there's class! So far I've taken classes in a widespread variety of theatre: acting, costumes, tech crew, history, modern theatre, etc. I love learning about theatre and ready to take up any opportunity I can! 

Studying abroad in Bath gave me the opportunity to be a part of the egg team for their Young People's Theatre production of I Am England. To learn more about that, check out my blog here!

There is so much I'm looking forward to this semester and it's a short two and a half weeks away! I know the work will be challenging but I'm eager to step up to the plate. If you have any questions at all, feel free to contact me

Hope you're enjoying your winter break - I know I am!
Katelyn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment