Friday, June 8, 2012

Formspring Question!

Hi Katelyn! I really like your blog! I'm hoping to be a theater/ English major and I was just wondering, since I've read in your blog you're a double major, is is tough for you to manage a social life with academics? Thanks a bunch!

Sorry for the late response! I've been away from my computer for a vacation! I'm so glad you read my blog. Congrats on choosing a major (especially theatre!). It's definitely easier in the long run knowing what you want to major in.

With the 4/4, SMC makes it easier to double major. For me, a few classes have 'double-dipped', which means fulfilling a major requirement as well as a Liberal Studies requirement. I always am on the look out for those so I can utilize a schedule that works for my four years here. I recommend looking for an Intro to Acting class or Life in the Theatre for your fall semester - and at least one will go as your Fine Arts LSC.


As for balancing a social life with academics, it's all about the semester schedule you create. For instance, I took 4 theatre classes last semester and while it wasn't as demanding as a physics major perhaps, but it was demanding in other ways that I didn't expect. You have to find the balance of getting your work done. Usually classes are every other day, allowing you time for homework and hanging out with friends. My friends and I sometimes combine the two with a study date with Durick! I usually try to do all my homework in the afternoon so that way I can relax with my friends at the night.


I realize I kinda got a little winded there but I hope this answers your question! You can also e-mail at kwhitman2@mail.smcvt.edu if you have any other questions. Feel free to ask me anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment