Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wandering Across the Pond

One of the great programs Saint Michael's has to offer is the Study Abroad Program. During the fall of my sophomore year, I met with Peggy Imai to discuss my options. Here are some Saint Mike's stats about study abroad:
  • Usually students study abroad in their junior year, about 50-150 students participate depending on the semester
  • You need at least a 2.8 to be considered (for SMC)
  • You fill out an application for SMC and any additional application your program has
  • You pay SMC what you would normally pay for tuition, and they in turn pay your program for the semester's housing, tuition, and meals - how great is that!
  • Different programs offer different experiences: Internship programs, English-speaking universities, and field-based programs
  • Upon your return, you can submit any pictures you've taken for the Global Eyes Photography Competition and have the chance for your photo to be displayed in the Dailey Room in Durick Library!
Check out more from the Office of Study Abroad here!

I am privileged enough to say that I am studying abroad in Bath, England for the fall semester! I have been accepted to the Advanced Studies in England program. I am lucky enough to be going and rooming with one of my best friends Eleanor and we will be taking England by storm! Also, I will have the opportunity to travel all across Europe while I am in England. This will be my first time out of the country and I just got my passport over Winter break!


And now for some fast facts about ASE:
1. ASE offers semester courses, tutorials in specific topics or languages, an internship component, as well as a special Education component with SMC where students can student teach in local schools.
2.With each of your classes, you will be taking day trips visiting such places as Stourhead and Wardour Castle and the Victoria and Albert Docks, and the Dyrham Park Country House. (These are all the places I'll be going!)
3. The program itself sponsors two trips to Oxford and Stratford-Upon-Avon plus the travel break. 
4. A part of your tuition will be returned to you each week for food allowances. Pretty nice if you ask me!
5. FIVE people from SMC are going to this program. This is not usually the case for programs so it will be interesting getting to know fellow SMCers outside of campus. 


I can't wait to begin this chapter in my life and lucky for you, I will be blogging about it! Look for those starting August 2012. 

If you have any questions, feel free to comment below, tweet me, or formspring me! 

Wishing you a fantastic day, 
Katelyn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment