Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Why Wandering Nomad?

I recently had this discussion with a friend about how the college years us students are nomads.

As defined by Dictionary.com, a nomad is a member of a people or tribe that has no permanent abode but moves about from place to place, usually seasonally and often following a traditional route or circuit according to the state of the pasturage or food supply; any wanderer or itinerant.

College students aren't nomads for these particular reasons, but rather for education. On the quest for knowledge for higher education, one travels to colleges they are interested in a "College Road Trip". This trip could range anywhere from 20 minutes from home, out-of-state, or even coast to coast. For me this trip ranged from Maine down to Maryland, usually hitting 3 or 4 colleges in a short period of time. If I liked the school, then we spent more time exploring the area around it to get a feel for the town.

Check out the map of where my high school friends and I are spread out.
It would take around 19 hours one way with direct stops. Crazy!

This is the first step on the nomadic journey for most; Going to college is usually the first time many leave home. We pack up our lives into boxes, crates, bags, and/or suitcases, grab appliances, and try to squeeze it into the family car and make the trek to our new home.

Once we get to our destination and unpack the boxes, make the bed, plug in the clock and fridge, decorate to make the walls of a college dorm room a little less white, it's time to say goodbye to the parents and start acclimating to the college life.

Thinking about it: during the time we're at college, we move about 10 times in four years, if you include a study abroad experience. That's quite a lot.

Luckily, we don't have to do this alone. A crucial part to a nomad's journey is a guide. There are loads of people who we can turn to who can offer us support and help as we climb through the mountains and valleys that college has to offer.

For me, I am lucky to have an support system involving my parents, brother, friends from home and from school, my faith family, and members of the faculty and staff at Saint Michael's. Being able to rely on a good support system during my first year of independence was crucial. Knowing that I have so many wonderful people to count on is really a blessing in difficult times.

As I continue on my nomadic journey for education, I can't wait to see where this will take me. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment